remuxed DTS audio won't play on hardware devices
|Reported by:||patters||Owned by:|
|Cc:||firstname.lastname@example.org, goodthanks||Blocked By:|
|Blocking:||Reproduced by developer:||no|
|Analyzed by developer:||no|
Firstly thanks for FFmpeg, it's an incredible tool. My interest in it comes from using the DLNA server Serviio which uses FFmpeg for its transcoding and remuxing. Many renderer devices don't support Matroska files but the streams they contain are often supported, so it's common to remux to mpeg-ts. I maintain the Serviio device profile for Sony Bluray and Network Media Players:
I would like to report an issue with DTS audio streams that are remuxed into mpeg-ts by FFmpeg. The resulting files fail to play on many consumer electronics products which do officially support DTS, in my case Sony Bluray players, though I can see from the Serviio forum that it's also an issue for people who use AV receivers to decode the DTS stream.
The files that FFmpeg produces play with silent audio on the affected devices, but they do play ok in VLC and Media Player Classic Home Cinema. I have observed this problem now for quite some time (maybe 18 months or so). I have reproduced this using the latest win32 build I could find from Zeranoe - ffmpeg-20120601-git-8a0efa9-win32-static.7z
The remux command line that Serviio would issue is as follows:
ffmpeg -i "/volume1/public/video/Movies/The.Good.The.Bad.And.The.Ugly.EXTENDED.1966.BluRay.720p.DTS.x264-FSiHD.mkv" -y -async 1 -vcodec copy -vbsf h264_mp4toannexb -copyts -acodec copy -map 0:0 -map 0:1 -sn -f mpegts /volume1/@tmp/Serviio/transcoding-temp-1086-10-ORIGINAL.stf
The problem is not limited to my choice of example clip - I have found it to be consistent with all MKV files containing DTS audio.
By contrast, the closed source utility tsMmuxeR is able to remux the same test clip in a way that plays perfectly on all systems I have tested. I shall attach 10MB clips of the original file, the FFmpeg non-working remux, and the TSmuxer working remux so that they may be analysed and compared.
Hopefully this could lead to a fix, as it doesn't seem that this issue has been reported.
Change History (41)
comment:2 Changed 3 years ago by cehoyos
- Keywords mpegts added; audio remux removed
- Version changed from unspecified to git-master
Changed 19 months ago by cehoyos
comment:13 in reply to: ↑ 12 ; follow-up: ↓ 14 Changed 19 months ago by cehoyos
- Cc email@example.com added
Changed 19 months ago by heleppkes
comment:22 in reply to: ↑ 21 ; follow-up: ↓ 23 Changed 10 months ago by goodthanks
comment:23 in reply to: ↑ 22 ; follow-ups: ↓ 24 ↓ 25 Changed 10 months ago by cehoyos
- Cc goodthanks added